My Schiit Hel+ was fine (?!); my Q60 Max is forgetful

Back in January I sent off a Schiit Hel 2E to be repaired. It had just stopped supplying a signal to the headphones (was still being recognized by the computer when connected via USB). In February, I got it back, with a swapped board and a new serial number sticker - it’s now a Hel+.

According to the support person I swapped emails with, all their repairs have a one (1) year warranty – good thing, since it just started doing exactly the same thing as before. I can hear the relay inside clicking, so it’s getting power. I can see it on the computer when USB connected. But no audio. Meh. Just sent it back today, this time to Corpus Christi, Texas. I guess the move is complete, or nearly so. (They used to be just over the hill from me, in Valencia, California.) Sigh.

Schiit Fulla E standing in for the dead Hel+

So now I’m limping along with my Fulla E, which has never given me any issues (but is very lightly used; after I got the Hel for the office I moved the Fulla E to my “kitchen table workstation,” which has since been dismantled), but only puts out like 4/25ths as much power into my 28 Ω headset.

I have no idea what was going on, but Schiit couldn’t find anything wrong with my Hel+ and when they returned it to me, neither could I. Weird. Working great now, though, and I’m happy to have it back!

Meanwhile, about a month ago I started using my Keychron Q60 Max regularly, nestled into my new IKEA nook. Thinking I had probably just forgotten to remap some keys when I set the keyboard up back in June, I hooked it up and tweaked the map to exactly my liking. But now I’m almost certain the keyboard just sort of forgot about my map; I fired it up after it had been sitting for a few days (less than a week) (battery was still at 77%, as reported over Bluetooth) and the RGB was back to the obnoxious cycling rainbow (I lock it to a solid color, when I use it at all) and my map was gone. Which is really frustrating, as the default Mac map has the "Delete" key set to Del, not Backspace, which is the opposite of what a Mac user needs. Sigh. Keychron support seems baffled by this, as am I; the settings should be stored in non-volatile memory... Anyway, as of today (9/14) I’ve re-reprogrammed it, let’s see how long it “sticks” this time.


Comments