Remapping the Keychron Q60 Max

For some reason the VIA app and https://usevia.app don’t work to remap the keys on a Keychron Q60 Max (usevia.app sees the keyboard but never moves past the Authorize device screen, even after a firmware update).

usevia.app sees the board but is stuck
usevia.app sees the board but is stuck

However, Keychron’s own web software does: https://launcher.keychron.com/#/keymap Unfortunately, though there appears to be some JSON support buried in Settings, it doesn’t appear you can export or import a configuration. Here’s my refined-over-time mapping of Layers 0 and 2 (Layer 1 is the “Win” layer on this board, which has a Win/Mac hardware switch on the back). I remapped this board back in June but there were a few keys I hadn’t tweaked; I’ve fixed that and am posting this for my own recollection if nothing else:

Layer 0 keymap
Layer 0 keymap

Layer 2 keymap
Layer 2 keymap

Also, the keyboard seems somewhat finicky as to the USB-C cable that will work with it. A 10' (whoops?) Anker cable that works fine to power the laptop didn’t register the keyboard on an M2 MacBook Air at all (the little red LED buried inside the board, visible through a hole next to the USB-C socket, flashed, but that was the only sign of life), even though it purportedly supports 480 Mbps data transfer. This random short cable I happened to have handy worked fine. I imagine the cable that came in the box will work too, but I have no idea where that is.

Comments