IKEA Poång Setup for Reading, Listening, Writing...

The Chair

Back in May, in the middle of an organization kick, I had a KIA Nero EV rental for a few days, and used it to pick up some closet organization stuff at IKEA (KALLAX shelving units; DRÖNA inserts). I’d been thinking about getting a reading chair that would be more conducive to reading and some work, vs. the IKEA FRIHETEN that provides all my living room seating. Somewhere in my reading, I stumbled across someone raving about the Poång chair, which has a bit of a cult following and a strong pedigree:

I wasn’t sure if it would fit my weird, lengthy proportions, so I decided to try one out during my IKEA visit. And, yep, it fits more or less perfectly. So I picked it up with the matching ottoman, selecting a Skiftbo grey that matches my sectional sofa sleeper. The Poång thus became my reading chair, around which the rest of the project took form.

The Desk

Poång chair with Bateman Labs desk attached
Poång chair with Bateman Labs desk attached
Although this is meant to be more recreational than grinding, I expect I’ll use it to write, and, my Lab likes to hang out on the cool tile when it’s warm out. Since I’m not planning on setting up another dining table workstation, the Poång can serve that role, too. Towards that end, I waited until a summer sale and bought the Bateman Labs Poång Lap Desk Workstation, which is a pretty clever piece of kit.

It holds a laptop roughly at eye level for me, and has ample space below for a Keychron Q60 Max keyboard (Gateron Jupiter Banana switches) and wireless mouse. The combination works surprisingly well, and swivels out of the way when climbing into / out of the chair. Assembly took about 3 minutes, and the whole thing detaches from the chair with minimal fuss if you want to just use the chair as a chair. It’s a bit spendy, but worth it.


Side table with tech stack
Side table with tech stack
Side Table Tech Stack

I also picked up a $10 IKEA KNARREVIK side table, which I figured would hold the tech stack (it does, kinda, but it’s tight).

On the top:

On the bottom shelf:

Detail of tech stack: Mac mini, Modius, Magnius
Detail of tech stack: Mac mini, Modius, Magnius
blafili B3 clamped under the lower shelf
blafili B3 clamped under the lower shelf

Climate Control

I picked up a rechargeable Sukadar Portable Clip on Fan, 10000mAh Rechargeable Battery Operated Fan, 24 Hours Work Time, 4 Speeds 8 Inch Personal Fan that works surprisingly well and is quiet and moves air.

Streaming SiriusXM to the Schiit stack from my old iPhone
Streaming SiriusXM to the Schiit stack from my old iPhone

Storage

I splurged a little bit when I saw the Labor Day sale; instead of a $17 Chinese tote, I picked up this $65 Portable Art Tote for like $48. It’s perfect. Slides under the IKEA side table, organizes everything I want to have at my fingertips in that space. Wireless mouse (re-using an old Logitech M535), Q60 Max keyboard, laptop, various charging cables not in current use, a couple of magazines / whatever book(s) I’m reading, eReader... There are end pockets at both ends that perfectly fit my 32 oz. Hydro Flask.

Comments