The ultimate lap desk setup.

I’ve been trying to find a good “kick back on the sofa with the dogs and still get work done” solution that doesn’t kill my back, neck, etc. I think I may have found it:

  • Any Mac laptop (or any laptop, really) with a compatible keyboard (basically, anything with the chiclet keyboard made between 2006 and, as I understand it, 2019 - I’ve used it successfully now with 2020-era Intel MacBook Air laptops, too). In this instance I’m using a Mid-2007 MacBook Core 2 Duo.
  • NuPhy Air 75 keyboard. I’m using one with “brown” switches, via Bluetooth. It’s designed specifically to sit on top of the laptop keyboard and not interfere, and is a much nicer typing experience than the built-in keyboard, especially the ancient MacBook keyboard, which wasn’t amazing to begin with and has gotten mushy over time. (This Mac required an aftermarket Bluetooth 4.0 adapter to work with the NuPhy keyboard. It’s kind of a kludge but it worked. The bundled 2.4 GHz NuPhy dongle is another option, or you can connect it with a short cable.)
  • LapGear MyDesk. ($20) It’s a trifle on the small size, but any larger and I think it would be too unwieldy. This thing is very light weight, comfortable, and provides just enough space to the side of a 13" laptop to use a wireless external mouse.
  • Logitech M317 ($19) wireless mouse (2.4 GHz). I’d like to swap this with a Bluetooth device and free up one of the two USB ports (the other one’s occupied with the Bluetooth 4.0 adapter), but it’s not a driving concern.

With this setup I keep an old laptop out of the landfill and can use it to develop PHP and Java code, run git, do legal research, put together early drafts of memoranda etc. in LibreOffice or on Google Docs, &c.

Comments