Battlestation

New gig. Working from home. My old “workstation” wasn’t cutting it. Have a Dell U2311H that was sitting on its OEM stand, a Unicomp SpaceSaver M keyboard. My desk is a little (36.5" wide, 17" deep workspace) unfinished wood desk I sanded and stained (looks awesome, cost next to nothing). I didn’t have a lot of real estate left between the monitor base and that huge keyboard. So. Time to do something about it.

Monitor

I kit-bashed two pieces together (literally with a bit of duck tape - I happened to have some black Duck brand tape, 1 7/8" wide, that I wrapped around the upper (inner) tube of the floor stand; the desk mount tube for the monitor arm was just a touch thicker), because the desk (which has a 1 1/2" drawer hanging down, that makes it way too thick for any of the “clamps on the edge of the desk” mounts I could find, and I didn’t want to drill a hole through the desk - which, with the drawer, probably would’d have worked in any case).

Edit: Summer 2022... Knowing then what I know now, instead of kit bashing, I would have used something like the VIVO Steel Universal Full Motion Pole Mount Monitor Arm (and ultimately did; see below). The current configuration (after the U2311H followed my old 2007WFP into the hereafter, with the same symptoms - it would flash the display for a second then go dark):

I’m no longer working from home, though I still do a lot of work from home. The Alera 4215 is still in place, but I don’t really like it. The armrests have always felt awkard, and the seat gets really uncomfortable after a couple of hours. I have an Aeron Basic (B size) at the office and it’s so much more comfortable, it’s unreal.



February 2023 Update: I got rid of the taped-together kludge and invested in a VIVO Steel Universal Full Motion Pole Mount Monitor Arm [MOUNT-POLE01A]. It attaches to the pole from the MI-878 floor mount perfectly, and looks so much cleaner:

MI-878 pole with MOUNT-POLE01A universal monitor arm
MI-878 pole with MOUNT-POLE01A universal monitor arm

Keyboard
I love the buckling spring Unicomps, but they’re huge... So I deployed my new Keychron K8 swapped with Kailh Jade switches. (Update: I’ve switched to using the Boba U4 switches, quiet tactile.)


Chair
I was using this wooden thing from Target for years, but this was never my primary workstation before, just a place I could kick it in the corner (originally with a Core i5/8GB/SSD Hackintosh, now with a “Mid 2010” Mac Pro with a 3.33 GHz 6-Core Xeon with 32GB RAM and an ATI Radeon HD 5870 video card and PCI-connected SSD storage) with the pups in the living room, maybe with the TV on. Anyway. Now it is my primary workstation, M-F, 8:30-17:30, and, well, oww. A bit of research suggested these were the best chairs out there:
Anyway. With the Elusion, the monitor up higher, the sweet keyboard, and the still-incredibly-smooth-and-fast (running High Sierra Big Sur) Mac Pro, this is an awesome setup. Now to rack up those billables!

Zoom
Finally, since the new firm is big on Zoom, I added an inexpensive Logitech C720 webcam a NexiGo N940E webcam with a built in light (wanted the light, and wider FOV than the Logitech has), and have a hardwired set of Bose QC25s I use for most calls/conferences. (I’ve also been known to use Bluetooth QC35 IIs or Beats X headsets, but every once in a while Bluetooth doesn’t want to connect; an actual cord eliminates that headache.)
 
Desk
Found pictures from when I finally got around to finishing it, ~8 years ago.




Specs of the camera: 1920x1080@60fps (or 1280x720, 640x480, same frame rate), 1/2.9" CMOS sensor, 3 brightness levels for the built-in ring light, FOV: D=95°, H=86°, V=54°. There’s a detachable privacy cover (a slide-closed or flip-closed that stays attached to the camera, like the C930e has, would be preferable, but for $70 - and I actually think there was a $10 coupon? - it’s fine).

Comments