Boba U4 mini review


Swapped the Boba U4 RGB 62g switches into a Keychron K8. Holy isht, these things really are silent! Like, this is probably quieter than the rubber dome OEM Dell board our receptionist uses. Nicely tactile, though lighter than what I'm used to (daily drivers are an RK71 with Box Pinks, another K8 with Box Jades, a K6 with Box Royals, and I have a couple of Box Navy / White / Pale Blue boards I tried out while I was transitioning from buckling spring).

So far, this is my GOAT. There is zero keycap wobble with this setup (stock Keychron keycaps), the “bump” is right at the top of the travel, and my typing accuracy is where I expect it to be. I’m sold. Why did it take me this long to discover and finally try these switches?

One thing to note: Ali Express ships them loose in a bag, just like the switches I’ve ordered from NovelKeys etc., but for some reason it seemed like an inordinate number of these arrived with askew pins I had to gently bend back into place. I also had a tough time getting these in without bending pins, more on this swap than on any swap I’ve done before. Maybe that’s caused by these being 5-pin (everything else I’ve used has been 3-pin)? I eventually got the technique down almost flawlessly, but I definitely had to be more careful and deliberate popping these into place.

Comments