Re-Springing and Fixing a Switch

I was getting unintended double-input on the space bar on my blacked-out “Mac symbols” Tokyo60 (with the Kailh Box Hako Royal Clear switches), so I decided to swap the spring with one from a Kailh Box Navy (I made the same swap on a Durock Silent Shrimp used under the space bar on another keyboard, with great effect). The first swap was simple. This one, not as much; the switch sort of fell apart when I opened it, so I pulled another apart to see how to put it back together. To my astonishment, I got it right the first time; the switch is back working, and nicely stiff now. Yay for decent tools.

Opened the Navy switch first to harvest its spring.
Opened the Navy switch first to harvest its spring.

See that little green thing in the switch housing? Not where it’s supposed to be.

Another switch opened; that’s where that green thing is supposed to be...

It gets sandwiched between the white plastic bit and the housing.

Like this.

Used this tool to put it back where it belonged.

Comments