Switch swap, backups, “new” monitor

Yesterday was a lazy day. I just couldn’t motivate to do much. I think I was recovering from a multi-week sleep deficit. But I made forward progress on a couple of things:

  • Finally figured out how to use duplicity, snap, and get automated backups of my most critical files to a UNIX-friendly cloud service.
  • Swapped my “home workstation clicky” board from Box Jade switches to Box Pale Blue switches I had installed in a fullsized GK705 I never use. I’m not sure why I thought the Jades (50g operating force, 60g bottom out) were the second-stiffest clicky switches in the Kailh Box line-up after the Navy switches (60g/90g), but that honor actually goes to the Pale Blues (70g/80g). And I knew that! (The Pale Blue switches have the heavier springs and the thinner click bar, while the Jades have the thicker click bar but the lighter spring. The Jades are more tactile, while the Pale Blues are stiffer.) Really liking the Pale Blues now. (Still using a Navy for the space bar.)
  • Ordered a “Grade A” 27" UltraSharp U2717D monitor off of eBay; I’m currently using a U2417H FHD, and it’s fine, but it has some visible flaws on the screen and FHD (1920x1080) isn’t where it’s at anymore; the 27" is only 2K (WQHD, 2560x1440), but that’s just enough more screen real estate to make a difference. Oh, and, it was hella cheap, $120 shipped, from an office liquidator type shop on eBay with good reviews. (It’s also a 2017 model, LED backlit so should be fine, and it will drop right into my existing setup with the same set of ports, the same form factor, etc.) Fingers crossed. I grabbed the U2417H “Used - Like New” for $150 on Amazon back in the fall of 2021 when my old U2311Hb suddenly died. (A 27" monitor is the largest that will comfortably fit in my home office setup, between the speakers; it’s about 3" wider than the 24" it’s replacing.)
  • Finally started to measure power consumption for my workstation with the Kill-a-Watt. The U2417H monitor draws about 20.2 watts. (But that one’s easy. I really need to capture the Mac Pro running full tilt, as that is what causes my UPS to scream for mercy, occasionally.)

The GK705 donor board about to give up its Pale Blue switches
The GK705 donor board about to give up its Pale Blue switches

 

Comments