Keychron K6 with Kailh Box Burnt Orange Switches; Another RK71 with Box Pink Switches

Tactile Build (K6 + Burnt Orange)

For my second tactile mechanical “build,” I went with the Keychron K6 (hot swappable, aluminum frame, RGB) and the Kailh Box Burnt Orange switches (also available(?) from AliExpress).

My switch tester suggested that switch would feel better than the Box Royal; now that I have a full keyboard with the setup, I’m not sure about that. The RK71s with the Kailh Box Hako Royal Clear switches requires more force and feels more “crisp.” The Burnt Orange switches activate right at the top of the switch’s travel and have a bit of resistance, but I’d prefer a bit more.

It might be worth getting another set of Hako Royal Clear switches (before they’re gone forever), as the set I have now is soldered into the RK71, and maybe a set of the Royals just to try them out.

Edit: Doing a bit of digging (which maybe I should have done before I pulled the trigger, keyswitch tester experience notwithstanding). I endorse these opinions (except for the parts that are struck through):
  • “Box Oranges have weak tactility compared to the Clears and almost felt linear to me. The Clears are similar to Kailh Box Royals in that it has sharp bump so a lot of the tactility is at the beginning and quickly falls off after that. If you want something closer to browns that's a bit smoother, the Box Orange is your best bet. Choose the Clears if you want something with more a lot more tactility up front.” nguyedt
  • [O]ranges are one of the worst (probably the worst) kailh switch. Very similar to cherry mx brown but with heavier spring and smoother.” myyrddraal
  • “I would suggest trying Burnt Orange, simply because you already like Browns and the Burnt Orange is like a step up from that...” rpiguy9907
  • Kailh BOX Burnt Orange Initial Review: Cherry Browns but Heavy
  • “I'm pretty sure they're just a heavier box brown. Which are nicer MX browns. But still the tactility on them isnt too much...” addmeonebay
That seems to jive with my experience so far. The Burnt Oranges are definitely more tactile than the MX / Gateron Browns, but way “softer” than the Hako Royal Clears. Kind of like going from MX / Gateron Blues to Kailh Box Whites.

Clicky Build (RK71 + Pink)

Meanwhile, I picked up a hot-swappable RK71 (the only way to get this, as far as I know, is bundled with a “gamer” mouse; also, this version of the RK71 does not have Option or Command  markings), and swapped in Kailh Box Pink switches. This may be my favorite combination yet. I really like the feel of the Pink switches. They’re not as fatiguing as the Box Navy switches, and don’t feel like an awkward compromise the way the Jade and Pale Blue switches do. (The White switches are, as far as I’m concerned, a slightly better MX Blue, and not worth swapping a keyboard to, unless you have them left over and you’re replacing truly garbage switches.)

Tactile Switches

SwitchTravel DistanceForce
Actuation Bottom Operating Bottom
Royal 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 75 g 70 g
Burnt Orange 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 70 g 80 g
Hako Royal Clear 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 85 g 85 g

Clicky Switches

SwitchTravel DistanceForceSpringClick Bar
Actuation Bottom Operating Bottom
White 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 50 g 55 g Light Thin
Pale Blue 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 70 g 80 g Heavy Thin
Pink 1.8 mm 3.6 mm 62 g 55 g Medium Midsized
Jade 2 mm 3.6 mm 50 g 60 g Light Thick
Navy 2 mm 3.6 mm 60 g 90 g Heavy Thick


Comments