NetBook word processing

Getting ready for NaNoWriMo. The BYOK isn’t out yet. I’m not going to drop $350 on something like a Freewrite Alpha, as cool as I think it is. But I have an old IdeaPad S10 netbook (10.2" 1024x600 screen, surprisingly good keyboard, Atom processor, 2.5 GB RAM, whatever old SATA SSD I had close at hand, and I picked up this DC 5.5x2.5mm to Type C USB cable, which so far works perfectly to charge and power the thing). 

IdeaPad S10 netbook
IdeaPad S10 netbook
 

Now I’m on the hunt for a decent Linux distribution (probably DSL 2024), and word processing software: I’ll probably end up with AbiWord, but old WordPerfect is still a contender (was using it for years on my 1024x768 VAIO PCG-Z505R), and FocusWriter looks interesting. LibreOffice is probably too heavy. Was not previously aware of FreeOffice TextMaker before, but I should check it out at some point

It just needs to provide a relatively distraction-free writing environment that I can work on whenever I have spare time; think this’ll work.

Comments