The search for a mechanical iPad keyboard

Mocking up a holder for the Keychron K2
Mocking up a holder for the Keychron K2

 I’ve long been on a quest to find a decent keyboard to use with an iPad. A decade or so ago I tried the ZAGGmate case and then the ZAGGkeys Solo; more recently, the Logitech K480, a BrydgeAir, keyboard covers like the Logitech Canvas or Focus (used with an iPad Mini, they’re great for what they are, but the form factor precludes using them for much real work). I’ve even used an older version of the Handheld Scientific Bluetooth Keyboard Adapter to hook up my old Razer (before I modified it) - not *quite* as messy as using an Apple Extended Keyboard II with an iPad, but close.

But what I’m really looking for is a mechanical keyboard I can use with a 9.7” Pro, conveniently. (The less said anout the abominations that look like vintage typewriters, the better.)

I could use the Keychron K2 - it’s almost the perfect size, and Bluetooth. But then I need a stand to prop up the iPad - one more thing to tote around and keep track of, and you can’t really use that combo on your lap. (There’s a seller on Etsy with a cool 3D printed replacement bezel for the Keychron K4 that has a slot for a tablet, but I haven’t found anything comparable for the K2 or K8. I’m discussing a sort of “drop in” tray that would have a hole cut out for the Keychron K2 keyboard, and a slot for a tablet; I’ll link to that if they build it and make it available.)

There are various lap and sofa desks, but those aren’t very portable.

There is (was?) the Bastron MK75, but the reviews are less than stellar and no arrow keys (using wasd is a bridge too far for my muscle memory). (Looks like there’s a version that implements arrows at the bottom right, albeit in an inverted T configuration?)

There’s the Epomaker Ajazz K620T (review), which gets close. No Apple keycaps, no dedicated arrow keys (but there’s a layer you can activate with the Fn key that provides them; kind of clumsy, but I’m getting the sense any solution will have some awkwardness). It only comes with clicky or linear switches, but I imagine I can solder in sone quiet tactiles. I can remap command and option in modern versions of iOS. But, the likely dealbreaker (unless I can find the earlier version somewhere): The new versions are hideous. Instead of a standard black or white, they went with all-pink or all-blue. Not exactly something you can whip out in court (or that I would want to take out at a Starbucks, for that matter).

Edit: And then I found the GroovBoard, which seems like it would be nigh perfect ... But the domain has been dead since, apparently circa 2016.

Comments