Soldering (moving on from hotswap sockets)

Back in November, I started modifying keyboards by swapping in different switches, in hotswap boards. Great as far as it goes, but limiting. Decided to get back into soldering (used to do it a lot when I was a kid, with a Radio Shack iron and no training).

Have a cheap ($19) numeric keypad that came with awful mushy "MX Blue clone" switches (I think they're Outemus but my middle age eyes can’t read the branding). Decided to make it my sacrificial lamb for practicing desoldering and soldering, with decent equipment and supplies this time:

Heated the soldering iron up to 662°F (350°C, the maximum for the silicon tip of the Engineer SS-02) and got to work, pulling out the blue switches and swapping in some spare switches I had (a Jade, a Pale Blue, a Navy, and a bunch of White Kailh Box switches) and ... Much better! And everything works. And I’m mostly not embarrassed by my solder joints.

RIP my wallet. I may be swapping Navy switches into my dasKeyboard (Mac layout)...

I found a few YouTube videos to be crucial as I (re)learned this stuff:

Information and video(s) specific to my das Keyboard project:







Comments