Swapping keys

Shuffled things around a bit. Took the Kailh Box Pale Blue switches out of the GMMK and swapped in a new set of Box Navy switches. Jury’s still out on that combo. It’s objectively a better keyboard than the GK705 (heavier metal construction, black with a metal trim ring, matte keycaps with a bit of texture, just overall feels more solid), but I’m just not sure I like the Navy switches in this as much as I do in the Keychron K2. Can’t put my finger on it. Whipped up a quick JSON file for Karabiner that maps the meta keys in the bottom row to something sensible for the Mac (a lot left to do in that set of complex modifications, but what’s there works for now).

Anyway. Stripped the Box White (and a ... Box Blue?) switches out of the GK705 and moved the Pale Blue switches over (except for the PtrSc/ScrLk/Pause keys that I never use, which stayed on White switches, and the space bar, which got a left over Navy switch, ‘cause I might have bent a couple of pins :/). The GK705 is a lighter weight, flimsier, plasticky keyboard, glossy cheaper-feeling keycaps, and with the red colored sides, is more appropriate for home. Since I also now have a HexGears Supernova keyboard (which I realized after buying - Used, Good, for $50 - is not hot-swap) with Kailh Box White switches (destined for the balcony), it made sense to put the Pale Blues to work there.









Comments