Bluetooth Low Energy; Logitech M535

Hmm. Was about to pull the trigger on the well-reviewed Logitech M585 (this “work from home” thing has me wanting a Bluetooth mouse I can easily swap around from computer to computer), until I read this:
This mouse requires that your PC be compatible with BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) technology. If your computer doesn’t support this, you will have to use the Unifying receiver with this mouse. BLE is also referred to as “Bluetooth Smart.” If your computer was manufactured in 2016 or later, you can expect it to be compatible. Higher end machines from 2015 support this technology, while it was an uncommon option in 2014.

(https://nerdtechy.com/logitech-m585-wireless-mouse-review)

Probably not a great fit for my circa-2012 MacBook Air or my “Mid-2010” iMac ... Sigh. Back to the drawing board. Probably just pick up another cheap Insignia. They work surprisingly well, and if I have two of ’em, the pain factor of swapping between two computers using Bluetooth becomes a non-issue.


Update: I got the Logitech M535. Works great, no dongle.

Edit: This How to Fix Logitech Mouse Scrolling article fixed an issue I was having where the scroll wheel would suddenly stop working (it would be fine after a reboot). Oddly, Logi Options Daemon was checked, but Logi Options was not; simply checking the box next to that entry brought my scroll wheel back to life without the hassle of a full operating system reload.

I’ve really liked the M535, enough that I picked one up for the office and another for the “not an iMac.” But, one concern I’ve encountered recently: Logitech has removed earlier software from its website, even though the links to the software are still there. According to Logitech support folks who post on Reddit, this was intentional, as they don’t support the older software anymore. (Fortunately, it’s largely still available on the Wayback Machine.) I get that, but, the software’s written and packaged and still works for those of us with older machines that can’t upgrade to the latest operating systems. Mark it “unsupported - legacy” and keep the links live, what can it hurt?

I’m now having second thoughts about recommending Logitech products, or buying another one, which kinda sucks, because I do actually really like the M535...

Comments