Xmas gadgets - Shanling M1s, Kobo Elipsa 2E

Shanling M1s on top of Kobo Elipsa 2E
Shanling M1s on top of Kobo Elipsa 2E
Got a Shanling M1s digital audio player (DAP), and a Kobo Elipsa 2E eReader, for Xmas this year. More as I dig into both, but some first impressions and notes:

Kobo Elipsa 2E

  • This trick still works to bypass the “download our software, create an account, login” hoops you otherwise have to jump through. I’m sure I’m missing out on some functionality but I can’t be arsed. I’m excited for the bigger screen and the stylus / notetaking functionality. Loading it up with my .epub (etc) library.
  • It’s not waterproof. But I still have my Libra 2 for hot tub reading, which I keep saying I’ll do but never quite seem to get around to.
  • I got this cover for it (learned my lesson a while ago with these things). It has a slot for the stylus. It was relatively inexpensive, and it’s relatively cheap. Stay tuned.

Shanling M1s

  • I’m using these with this 4.4mm male to 2.5mm female balanced adapter and currently trying them out with my HiFiMan HE400se planar magnetic headphones. The verdict: Still TBD. Some tracks sound incredible on this setup. Later Tool albums, e.g., I’m hearing subtle details I never noticed before. Other albums just sort of sound like crap. Suspect it’s a combination of these headphones being hard to drive, not having a good EQ curve plugged in, and maybe bad recordings? (I’m feeding it FLAC files but I didn’t encode all of them.) I’m going to try it out with my Sennheiser HD58x Jamboree cans (also balanced) and see where I get. The adapter is clunky (maybe the Surfans F28 with a native 2.5mm balanced output would have been a better get?), might try this one, even though it’s more expensive.

Comments