Kobo Libra H2O: A Very Fragile Device

I swear I’m not that hard on my gadgets. I have a MacBook from 2007 (bought refurbished, even) that’s still in very good shape. I have an immaculate MacBook Air from 2010 (recently upgraded to Big Sur, which it runs astonishingly well). My circa-2010 original iPad still works perfectly. I still have and use an iPhone 6 from ... 2014?! My ~12 year old tiny went everywhere with me Sony PRS-350 is still pristine, even if the screen is a bit  small and low resolution these days. Anyway.

So I’m kind of astonished at how fragile the Kobo Libre H2O I got for Xmas turned out to be. It (in a case) slid off a sofa cushion onto the carpeted floor about 12" below and now the screen is covered in lines and unreadable:

Well, at least I got to read a couple of books on it, before it died. :/ I picked up where I had to leave off, on an old iPad Mini 2 (that is also in perfect shape, 6.5 years later), but the battery life isn’t amazing and there’s always the old blue light concern, and it’s not waterproof (though it turns out I relied on that capability exactly once in the few months I had with the Kobo).

Do I replace the Kobo? They’re $145 now ($139 refurbished). It has the 7" Carta E Ink touchscreen, 1680 x 1264 (300 PPI), Anti-glare. The latest Paperwhite Kindle has a 6.8" screen and is waterproof, but no ePub support, it’s basically the same price (ad-supported, blech), and no physical buttons. There’s a new raft of Kobo devices, from what I’ve read: The Libra 2 ($180) is basically a slightly less comfortable Libra H2O with a better screen (“7" HD E Ink Carta 1200 touchscreen delivers a faster display, quicker page turns, and deeper contrast”); the $260 Sage is 8" (also the Carta 1200)...

Comments