Simple “split horizon” DNS on PiHole; macOS Tahoe SSH issue; VPN connections need peers...
| Local DNS setting in PiHole |
Local DNS
I have a CNAME on my main domain that resolves to a DDNS name that’s kept updated from my home network. (Before: https://freedns.afraid.org/ now whatever the MikroTik supplies, with the FreeDNS name as a backup - two is one, one is none). It worked fine for years but now it’s not resolving properly from inside the LAN. I’'ll troubleshoot that one day but for now, the expedient fix was just to map that host to the internal IP address on the PiHole (6.3 core version, 6.4 web), since the MikroTik is using that as its DNS source. That was easy.
Tahoe SSH authentication issues
But now... Why can’t I login to any of my boxes (even remote) using SSH? Attempts hang at: debug1: Next authentication method: publickey
AI tells me it’s likely an issue with macOS Tahoe’s launchd sockets¹?). I was able to connect to the router via SSH and a password (bypassing the public key exchange) using either one of these:
% SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/dev/null ssh -v rpi
% ssh -o "IdentityAgent none" -v rpi
VPN
> /interface/wireguard/peers/add interface=wg0 public-key="Mac public key" allowed-address=192.168.77.5/32 comment="M5 MacBook Pro"
E.g., public-key="4.........s=' when this was visible in the Manage WireGuard Tunnels interface:
> /interface/wireguard/peers/print
> /interface/wireguard/peers remove 1 # where '1' is the peer entry I wanted to nuke
Conclusion
ssh, macOS automatically intercepts the command and redirects it to an internal system daemon listener path (e.g., /var/run/com.apple.launchd...) to see if it can handle biometric or hardware keys. If that service daemon hangs, the ssh binary halts permanently right at that line. [1, 2]” The above commands “bypass the operating system's internal background sockets by executing a pure, unattached SSH request directly in terminal memory.”
Comments
Post a Comment