Another guitar rebuild, this time with electronics

The MH-100 as rebuilt with GuitarFetish pickups, hand wired with coil splits, Guyker black hardware; a phoenix (reborn)
🐦‍🔥 (or maybe 凤凰?)
I haven’t played the MH-100QMNT all that much. I thought about selling it, but realistically I won’t get much for it, and I have been getting back into “super strats” more lately. This thing is cheap (made in China, and I paid $170 for it including a ratty but functional hard case), but capable. And I could use a lessons / rehearsal / gigging guitar I don’t care that much about. I started imaging loading it up with higher end Seymour Duncan pickups etc., but then, brakes screeching, thought: Why would I put $400+ into a maybe $175 guitar? Decided to see what I can do using only budget components. Carefully selected budget components, but budget pieces nonetheless.

This project took longer than I thought it would, both because not everything was delivered with Amazon speed (the pickups and other electronics took ~7 days to arrive), and because this was my first time doing an electronics project like this. 

Tuners & Bridge and other Hardware

The stock “ESP” branded tuners were fine, but I’ve gotten spoiled with locking tuners on other guitars (string changes are so easy!), and I want to see what I can do with cheap parts, so ...  Guyker Guitar Locking Tuners (as low as $39 depending on the colorway; I went with black, for $43). I measured carefully with a caliper before pulling the trigger. They are exact drop-in replacements, at least in terms of mounting holes etc. (they’re ever so slightly shorter, so the tuning head sits a little closer to the head stock, but not enough to matter). Huzzah. I reused the screws that held in the stock tuners, no new holes. So far they seem high quality, they’re 18:1 ratio just like the Hipshots I love (every 18 turns of the knob turns the post once; 18:1 is a good balance between precise (20:1+) and sloppy (12:1-15:1), and reasonable speed for pitch changes and string changes. Since I’ll be spinning this down to Drop D often... These tuners had 4.6 stars across 2,101 reviews.
[pictures]
 
The bridge was showing some pitting and corrosion, and with black tuners I kinda wanted to go with black (instead of black nickel) hardware elsewhere. I’m not going to change the ferrules on this string-through-body guitar (no tailpiece), so that just meant changing the bridge itself. For $22 you can get the Guyker GM005 with roller saddles (which, fair warning, raise the height by maybe 1-2 mm). It’s a drop-in replacement for “import” guitars. I left the original anchors in place but used the new bridge posts and of course the bridge itself. It seems high quality so far (I mean, it’s no Babicz, but what is?). One nice touch my more expensive Gotoh bridge lacks: Set screws at each post hole, to “lock” the bridge in place when the strings aren’t holding it down. It has 4.6 stars averaged across 975 reviews.
 
The pickup rings are plastic and in okay condition, but in for a penny, in for a pound, right? $15 for another set of Guyker flat metal humbucker pickup rings, and I reused pieces from the guitar screw set I picked up when I was rebuilding the EC-300. Specifically, I used the Humbucker Pickup 3#-48 x26.7 sets (includes springs) and the Pickup Ring screws (2.5x18).
 
Finally, this is an ESP product, although part of their entry level LTD lineup. The original pickups say “ESP” on them, as did the original tuners. The back of the neck says “ESP” prominently. Some other LTD models have historically said ESP on the truss rod cover, including my early-2000s EC-300 (they started moving away from this practice around 2008; this is a 2009). Since I was removing most of the other ESP branding it originally came with, and since the truss rod cover was looking a little beat up, I splurged on a vanity truss rod cover with the ESP logo. (The other option I was considering was one inscribed with 中国で安価に製造 but there was concern as to whether or not those fine characters could be engraved on that small a surface; I may get it as a decal? I think it sums up the spirit of this guitar, and the components, although “cheap” is relative; this is a generally pretty well made instrument.)

Electronics

This will be my first time replacing pickups / wiring a guitar. I spent some time researching options and almost went with FLEOR, but I decided to chase what I hear is much higher consistency with equipment from GuitarFetish. Specifically:

Strings

D’Addario NYXL1046 10-46 Regular Light, NYXL Electric Guitar Strings, obvi. I’d love to get these on Amazon (convenience), but counterfits are a problem there. I’d normally just pick some up at Guitar Center but when I don’t drop by regularly, I just get them directly from the manufacturer. Same price and free shipping for orders over $50.

Installation

Now I need to pore over the several wiring diagrams (e.g., universal; two humbuckers), etc., to hook all of this stuff up correctly, with 60/40 solder and my trusty Hakko FX-888D.

Miscellaneous Parts and Tools

Additional stuff I had handy and used for this project:

Putting everything together

Hardware 

I did the hardware first. Less than an hour to replace the tuners and the bridge / poles. Everything dropped right in.

Electronics

Next, I set the guitar up so I could do the wiring outside of the control cavity, which is a tight space to work in. The MH-100 has a single black wire disappearing into the body that my multimeter tells me was connected to the bridge as a ground, and a 1/4" instrument jack mounted into the side of the guitar.  I replaced that jack with a Switchcraft, which feels a lot more solid, and ran a black (shield) and red (tip) 22 AWG insulated wire from my kit into the guitar body. (I twisted them together and then locked those twists in place with heat shrink tubing; not sure if it’ll have any signal advantages, but at least it’s tidy.) Both the bridge ground and the jack wiring got quick disconnect connectors, as those are the only parts that cannot easily be removed from the guitar. (The pickups are using the GuitarFetish KwikPlug™ system (YouTube look), which use cables that terminate in 2.5 mm TRRS plugs; tip (red lead) is the hot/positive signal, white (ring 1) is the coil split lead (goes to ground to split to a single coil), black (negative/ground return path, ring 2), and bare/silver (copper) (shield), overall system ground). Those 2.5 mm connectors slip easily through the channels built into the guitar for the bridge and neck pickups (on this guitar, the neck pickup cable routes through the bridge cavity).
 
I leaned heavily on the wiring diagrams published by GuitarFetish, including the “TELE WIRING DIAGRAM” on page 2 of this PDF (albeit with 500K pots and a 223M (.022µF) capacitor), and the Kwikplug - Coil Tap diagram on the Tele 2 Humbuckers page (direct image link). I’m also learning about potentiometers. Including how to test one, how they’re diagrammed ([TODO: Did I screw this up initially?). I also went through the free Seymour Duncan Pickup Installation 101 course online (including the “how to solder” module).
 
This is fugly but it’s what I could quickly throw together with a tiny bit of ChatGPT, and a few minutes with Gimp and Preview:
 
Wiring diagram
Wiring diagram. After a fashion.

Pickup leads 

The leads coming out of the humbucker pickups are connected to the pickup selector switch (red), the push/pull switch in the tone pot (white), and the back of the volume pot (ground) (black and silver/copper).
 
Switch: This guitar uses a standard three-position toggle switch: bridge pickup only, both pickups, neck pickup only. There are essentially three lugs on one end (one for each bridge on the outside, and a joined pair of lugs between them), and a single lug on the other. I have each of the two red (positive) leads from each KwikPlug cable (KPN-R, KPB-R) soldered to an outside lug. The ground lug isn’t currently connected to anything but should go to ground, I’ll fix that.

Tone Pot Push/Pull: The tone pot with its push/pull switch (for the coil split) has seven lugs in a box at the bottom; three sets of non-linked switched lugs, and at the bottom, a ground that’s connected to the back of the pot; we’ll call them:
 
  1A  1B
  2A  2B
  3A  3B
 
For the coil split I wired it like this:

         +---------+
         |         | 
         | •-----•-U---- 7th lug (GND)----+
KPN-W----U-•     •-U---- KPB-W            |
         | o     o |                      |
         |         |                      |
         +----•----+                      |
              |___________________________|
                

So when the pot is pulled out, 2A (neck pickup white lead) is connected to 1A (ground) and 2B (bridge pickup white lead) is connected to 1B (ground), which activates the single coil mode. When the switch is pushed in, 2A is connected to 3A (no connection, so, no effect), and 2B is connected to 3B (same).

Volume Pot (Ground): The black and silver/copper leads from each pickup are soldered together and each pair kept connected with heat shrink tubing. Those leads are soldered to the back of the volume pot, after an area of the back of the pot was scuffed up with the Dremel.

Toggle Switch

Side lugs: Each connected to one of the two red (positive) leads from each KwikPlug cable (KPN-R, KPB-R).
 
Middle (joint) lug: A red wire (SWO) connected to the left lug (viewed from the back) of the volume pot.
 
Single lug at the other end of the switch: No connection (N/C). (Should go to ground?)

Volume Pot

 
Left lug (viewed from the back, lugs pointing down): Connected to SWO wire, and another red wire connected to the middle lug (wiper) of the tone pot.
 
Middle lug (wiper): Connected (red wire) to the tip connector in the 1/4" instrument jack (JT).
 
Right lug: Connected via a bridge wire to the back of the volume pot (GND).
 
Back of pot (ground): Connected to:
  • Volume pot right lug (jumper wire)
  • Bridge pickup negative and shield (KPB-B, KPB-S)
  • Neck pickup negative and shield (KPN-B, KPN-S)
  • Tone pot ground (black wire)
  • Bridge ground (black wire) 

Tone Pot

(I’m still kind of wrapping my brain around this. ChatGPT explained like I’m 5.)
 
Right lug (viewed from the back, with the push/pull switch box below and its lugs pointing straight at you): Connected to one leg of the .022µF capacitor; the other leg is connected to the tone pot’s ground lug.
 
Middle lug (wiper): Connected (red wire) to volume pot left lug
 
Right lug:  (I also had a lead going from this lug to the volume pot ground, which was a mistake - not sure where that came from. The result was a tone knob that had basically no effect until it was all the way up, at which point it cut the sound out entirely! Whoops...)
 
Back of pot (ground): Connected to:
  • Right lug via .022µF capacitor
  • Back of volume pot
  • 1/4" jack shield 

Strings

So I switched to D’Addario NYXL 1046s a few months ago and I love them. They play well, they’re bright, they barely require any stretching and then hold tune forever, and they last longer than the Ernie Ball strings I used for decades. So I was dismayed when I found out the company ended up in some controversy, after first an allegedly generative AI promo video, and then their apparently heavy-handed denial and repression of any discussion about it. Tempest in a tea pot? Maybe. Hopefully. I like my D’Addario stuff. I almost bought merch, recently. But it definitely got me thinking.
 
I have (probably counterfeit) Ernie Ball strings on it now, .090-.042s I found recently and have no good use for. Since I’m still getting everything dialed in, why not use sacrificial strings, y’know? And I recently bought several sets of D’Addario NYXLs, and I’m not going to not use them. Moving forward? Kinda want to see how the current situation ends. But if “we” end up (still?) boycotting D’Addario, I’ve heard good things about Stringjoy. The Signatures are, from what I’ve read, the closest to the NYXLs, and are roughly the same price ($11.99 vs. $12.99 for the NYXLs).
 
Related, TIL: What I’ve been calling a guitar pick for years is formally known as a plectrum.
 

Setup

While waiting for a case to be called on Court Connect, I tuned it up, set the bridge height / action (went for middle of the road until I get a feel for it; 1.75 mm (low E) / 1.50 mm (high E) at the 12th fret, as is prophesied. Then the intonation most were spot on, two had were flat so I had to loosen the strings to get at the saddle adjustment screws, and move the saddles closer to the bridge). Pickup height set during this session, too, ~2.0 mm (bass) / 1.5 mm (treble) at the bridge, 2.5/2.0 mm at the neck.

Verdict 

I’ve noodled on it a couple of hours by now and it plays way better than it did before I started futzing with it. Some of it might just be psychological - the deep cleaning, the polish and waxing, the fingerboard oil, fresh strings. But some of it's the proper setup, crunchy pickups, the flexibility of coil splitting this guitar never had stock, etc. Whatever the combination is, I’ll take it. I wanted a “Super Strat” I could take to practices, jam sessions, gigs, and not worry about it too much. Including the guitar itself, I have like $300 in this thing now, and it’s setup so much better than the vast majority of the $300 guitars out there (I got really, really lucky with a couple of Eclipse-style LTDs over the past year; that’s not the norm - although maybe it soon will be?).

Pictures

That I may caption, and/or organize, at some point, some day. 

Measuring the original hardware to make sure the Guyker stuff will fit without drilling
Measuring the original hardware to make sure the Guyker stuff will fit without drilling

The headstock with the original tuners and truss rod cover
The headstock with the original tuners and truss rod cover

Pitting and corrosion on the bridge and pickup screws
Pitting and corrosion on the bridge and pickup screws

Swapping the tuner hardware and maintaining the fretboard with my steadfast assistant
Swapping the tuner hardware and maintaining the fretboard with my steadfast assistant

The Guyker tuners are drop-in replacements for the “ESP” branded tuners originally on this guitar
The Guyker tuners are drop-in replacements for the “ESP” branded tuners originally on this guitar

Another shot showing how cleanly the Guyker hardware lines up with the stock stuff

Work in progress...
Work in progress...

Before...
Before...


Electronics installation

Before

Tapping the tuner poles with a magnetic tip screwdriver to suss out the wiring
Tapping the tuner poles with a magnetic tip screwdriver to suss out the wiring
 
Removing the stock “ESP LH150” pickups
Removing the stock “ESP LH150” pickups

Korean manufacturer of lower end OEM pickups, like the “ESP” LH150s in this entry level LTD
Korean manufacturer of lower end OEM pickups, like the “ESP” LH150s in this entry level LTD

The control cavity before I rip everything out
The control cavity before I rip everything out

The red two-conductor cable went to the neck pickup
The red two-conductor cable went to the neck pickup

How the pickup selector switch was wired
How the pickup selector switch was wired

A different angle of the volume pot (note the jumper wire grounding the right lug)
A different angle of the volume pot (note the jumper wire grounding the right lug)

Tone pot
Tone pot

Tone pot
Tone pot

Reverse engineered diagram of factory wiring
Reverse engineered diagram of factory wiring

The rebuild

KwikPlug™ wiring; I added the red heat shrink tubing to easily identify the bridge pickup wiring
KwikPlug™ wiring; I added the red heat shrink tubing to easily identify the bridge pickup wiring

Switchcraft 1/4" instrument cable, with my attached wiring
Switchcraft 1/4" instrument cable, with my attached wiring

Quick release connectors for 1/4" jack, ground-to-guitar-bridge wire
Quick release connectors for 1/4" jack, ground-to-guitar-bridge wire

The tone pot / push-pull switch didn’t come with any wiring information, so I tested it out
The tone pot / push-pull switch didn’t come with any wiring information, so I tested it out

Tone pot .022μF capacitor (heat shrink tubing)
Tone pot .022μF capacitor (heat shrink tubing)

Connecting the top two switch pins to ground.
Connecting the top two switch pins to ground.

Close-up of the volume pot wiring and embarrassing solder blobs
Close-up of the volume pot wiring and embarrassing solder blobs

Kind of hard to see but I scuffed the left edge with a Dremel and wire brush
Kind of hard to see but I scuffed the left edge with a Dremel and wire brush

Everything’s starting to come together, except that black grounding wire off the tone pot lug shouldn’t be there (and if you look closely, I have the wrong lug grounded through the capacitor on the tone knob, d’oh!)
Everything’s starting to come together, except that black grounding wire off the tone pot lug shouldn’t be there (and if you look closely, I have the wrong lug grounded through the capacitor on the tone knob, d’oh!)

Volume knob in the helping hands; my solder blobs on the back ain’t great, but they’ll get better
Volume knob in the helping hands; my solder blobs on the back ain’t great, but they’ll get better

Quickly testing the wiring before closing everything up
Quickly testing the wiring before closing everything up

Everything tucked into the cavity; no wire ties yet, I’m still testing and troubleshooting
Everything tucked into the cavity; no wire ties yet, I’m still testing and troubleshooting

New pickup rings installed with the pickups hanging from them

New pickup rings installed with the pickups hanging from them

It’s starting to come together! Ernie Ball strings in for “sea trials.” One exhausted rescue pup.
It’s starting to come together! Ernie Ball strings in for “sea trials.” One exhausted rescue pup.

Wiring all works now; tidied up a bit and secured.
Wiring all works now; tidied up a bit and secured.

Comments