Tripodsy Portable Sit/Stand Desk

I’m waiting patiently for the Nomad Desk (IndieGogo). But the current timeline for that is next summer: “June 2023 Production& Delivery.” Sigh. At the moment I’m using the Rigg Monitor Mount on a kitchen bar-height counter, but that’s ... Not great.

After looking at other options‡ I picked up a TRIPODSY Portable Laptop Standing Desk ($160 but I found one for sale on Mecari second-hand for $100), which seems like it might be The One™. The maximum height is apparently 70" (per a response to a question posted on Amazon; specs say 61" which is still fine), it includes the keyboard platform, it’ll hold up to 11 lbs and a laptop up to 16". The keyboard shelf is a spacious 17.6" wide.

I've been using it for a few hours so far, and so far I like it well enough. The shelf is wide enough for a NuPhy Air 75 or Keychron K6 (or even K2 75%) keyboard and Logitech M557 mouse to coexist comfortably, though my normal small 6x8" mousepad overhangs by half an inch or so, just enough to drive me a little crazy. So I found and ordered a 5x6" mousepad. (A smaller keyboard, like the Air 60 which shaves about 3/4" in width, might work better, but deeply ingrained muscle memory dictates at least a 75% keyboard for my fingers; I use ` and ~ too much.)

Had to tighten tripod head on this screw
Had to tighten tripod head on this
Setting everything up took about 5 minutes and was pretty straightforward. The tripod head initially was loose, and needed to be tightened down on the threaded piece sticking up from the center column (before I did that, the laptop would spin pretty freely, and wobbled a bit). On the laptop platform, the two round “tabs” that slot into the tripod head needed to be loosened slightly to lock into place, and then tightened. There’s still a tiny bit of wobble of the whole platform as I type, but it’s serviceable.

I’m currently using it with a MacBook Air 13" which weighs about 3 lbs and overhangs the platform by an inch and a half on both sides. The keyboard / mouse tray slides up and down the center pole easily and clamps in place; barefoot on carpet, I find a 43" height ideal, with the tray at the bottom of the center pole (which minimizes the platform wobble). With about 7" of the center pole exposed above the top of the keyboard tray clamp (with about 2" of travel left), the laptop sits with the center of the screen at about 61.5" which, for me at 6'2", is just right, and a slight tilt puts the screen 24" from my eyes, which is ideal (5 Ways to be Comfortable with your Standing Desk Monitor). The tripod head allows for different angles too, so the screen can be moved closer (and higher).

(There’s a small bubble level in the tripod head, but I found it almost worthless.)

Being able to work standing up with The Game™ on on the TV in front of me, hanging in the living room with the pups, not getting sucked into the sofa ... Priceless.

Regarding portability - the Tripodsy comes with a travel bag, but it will only fit the tripod itself, not the head, or the shelves. If you want to easily carry the whole thing with you without worrying about keeping track of all the parts (5 plus the tripod, including the pouch with the instructions and a couple of hex tools), I’d recommend getting a small duffel bag, at least 24" long; something like this.

Edit: Confirmed that 24" Vorspack Duffel Bag fits the Tripodsy tripod and “desk” surfaces, as well as the Tiovo Folding Camping Stool. It’s like an office you can sling over your shoulder.

‡ I’ve seen ads for the Tripod Desk Pro, which looks awesome, but at $400 and without a lower keyboard platform, not a solution for me. They have a lower end model, the Tripod Standing Desk ($220), which goes up to 4.8' (57.6"), about an inch lower than the start of the screen on my Rigg / counter setup. And there’s an optional Keyboard Platform ($50) which, at 15.5" wide, should be just large enough to accommodate a small keyboard (K3?) and mouse.

Comments