I’m not smart. (Version tracking in Google’s suite saves my sanity.)

I use the Google Docs Editors suite occasionally to keep track of miscellaneous stuff. Like my dogs’ food. Gone are the days when both of my pups ate the same food I could always find at the local Centinela Feed Co. and would buy a bag every 3 weeks or so. No, my Lab is on one food, a Labrador-specific product, and goes through a bag every ~4 weeks, My mutt is on a totally different food (not even the same brand!) specifically for seniors, and is on more of an 11 week schedule. I live in a relatively small apartment, and don’t want to be storing food longer than I have to. (And I only have so much space in my Vittles Vaults.)

So I’m basically using JIT with Chewy.com’s autoship. (With a bit of nail biting at the beginning of the pandemic, but, it always worked out.) And being a nerd, I’m constantly refining my algorithms to get food delivered as close to when we need it as possible (I usually build in a 1-2 day buffer). So imagine my heart attack when I realized, the last time I weighed my Labrador’s food vault to predict how many more meals we had on hand, I neglected to note the date the data was entered!

As I was in the middle of firing up my email to search for the Chewy.com autoship reminder that spurred me to update my measurements, I realized – duh, I can look at the version history for the document and just see when the numbers were added.

Screenshot of Google Sheets document used to track dog feeding
Screenshot of Google Sheets document used to track dog feeding

I have my mutt’s schedule dialed in precisely, but her kibble is small and I can eyeball scoops easily to ensure she gets a consistent amount with every meal:

Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind 7+
Purina Pro Plan Bright Mind 7+

The Labrador kibble is an odd size, leading to some variation (not enough, I don’t think, to be nutritionally significant, but enough to thwart any attempt at reliable consistency when trying to predict an exact number of scoops remaining over several weeks):

Royal Canin Labrador
Royal Canin Labrador

Comments