Inexpensive USB Headsets: Restoring the Logitech H390; Sennheiser PC 8

I have an older Logitech H390 headset I picked up probably 6 years ago. It still works well and it’s remarkably clear and easy to use - I can even get Slack or Zoom running in a Linux instance under VMware to see it and use it (the same is not true for the Creative SoundBlaster Play! 3 I use with a QC25 headset). But the earpads are disintegrating. (So is the headband, but it’s still in much better condition, and matters less to me.) For less than $10, replacements are available. And one less thing goes into the landfill. 

Update: The replacements arrived. They’re smaller than the stock, and look a little funny, but ultimately they do fit and they’ll work.

Side by side size comparison
Side by side size comparison

Replacement earpad stretched to fit, more or less
Replacement earpad stretched to fit, more or less

Meanwhile, I picked up a Sennheiser PC 8 headset. From the photos, it appeared to be roughly comparable to the Logitech, but when I got it in my hands ... Different story. Feels very cheap in comparison. Everything about it. It’s very light weight, it’s all plastic, the ear pads are inconsequential foam covers, even the wiring is a lighter gauge compared to the similarly-priced Logitech. It reminds me of something you might use to listen to glam metal cassettes in your Walkman with, circa 1988, at your Girlschool. It works well enough for the very occasional call / meeting / appearance I’ll need it for, but to say I’m underwhelmed would be an understatement.

Side by side comparison, Logitech H390 and Sennheiser PC 8
Side by side comparison, Logitech H390 and Sennheiser PC 8


Comments