Stratux AHRS only with FreeFlight GPS

So, YOLTbird has a FreeFlight RANGR FDL-978-XVR ADS-B transceiver, that does a great job providing GPS (10m accuracy), FIS-B (weather), and TIS-B (traffic) to my iPad. (The Stratux would also provide 1090 traffic, but the cons outweigh the pros.) But no AHRS.

I kinda want to see if I can learn enough Go to pull off the following:
  • Get the Stratux software stack to consume the GPS information pumped out by the FreeFlight system (in lieu of using the GPYes chip I have in the Stratux, which is occasionally problematic); and
  • Feed AHRS data to ForeFlight, now that ForeFlight has started accepting such data from non-Appareo/Garmin sources.
This will let me bury a Stratux somewhere in the cockpit (and keep it on hand as an emergency backup), without our having to have antennae strewn all over the place or a device suction-cupped to the window, and get AHRS into the synthetic vision module in ForeFlight, using hardware I already own. (A FlightStream 210 would do the same, over Bluetooth, but I may ditch the GNS430W and go with an IFD440, which doesn't have AHRS functionality available; the IFD550 does, but that's not a slide-in replacement...)

Current plan is to have everything connect to the FreeFlight WiFi network and go from there. I've downloaded Avare and Packet Capture onto my $49.99 Fire HD 8, and there's also tcpdump on the Stratux install. Trudging down to the hangar with a cheap 10/100 switch, some CAT5 cables, and a TrendNet TU2-ETG (version 2.0R) USB-to-Ethernet adapter (closet finds) so I can get into the Stratux box from my MacBook Air, if necessary...

Bookmarks and notes, as I begin this intellectual exercise:





Serializing Stratux Data



GDL90 protocol specification?


Does anyone know why "screen -x stratux" no longer attaches to the running gen_gdl90?


Ahrs status

non-DHCPD workaround

[GUIDE] Turn your Stratux into a internet pass-through device to receiver internet access on its clients!
   Stratux client mode

Changing UDP port

GPS required for AHRS?


Comments

  1. Any progress on this? I’m looking for AHRS-only as well

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment