Cockpit Organization

Now that I have access to a hangar and a plane with a nice interior, I’m contemplating how to organize things. I’m leaving the now communal iPad in the X-Naut case; with cell phone personal hotspot functionality, we can update ForeFlight, etc., from the cockpit during pre-flight. I’m toying with the idea of leaving a set of sunglasses in the plane. I started using the ForeFlight scratchpad feature‡ instead of a kneeboard and notepad. I’m looking for where to stash a pen in flight; my first ForeFlight scratchpad experiment was done wearing a stylish (!) Pilot's Sleeve Pocket Polo Shirt, but without all those pen pockets, I'm not sure it would have been as convenient. But I don't want to clutter the cockpit or stick things to random surfaces. With electric landing gear, there’s a small space between the front seats where I could put a small organizer or something. I’d like to have a couple of pens, my iPhone, and a flashlight (at a minimum) easily accessible. Developing. Thinking something like one of these:
The goal is to be able to hit the airport with just the plane keys and my access badge, and go flying, without having to lug my flight bag around. (Would still use it for trips, and flying in rental planes / other planes. But nice not to have to need it.) Especially for short local trips, not sure I need to always carry my Yaesu radio, a bunch of RAM pieces for yoke / suction cup mounting my iPad in other planes, the PTT switch / headset adapter, another flashlight, 12V/120V USB chargers, cables, external battery packs, AUX inputs for music in other audio panels (have the PMA450 with Bluetooth...), Stratus 2S, etc. (Miss having AHRS with the FreeFlight setup, though if/when we add the FlightStream 210, that'll be included.)

Pondering...

Also want to get a waterproof box of some sort for the owner's manual in the back, and a leak/spill-proof "trunk organizer" (like this?) to keep spare oil, rags, fuel tester, oil funnel, Plexus, etc., in, in the cargo compartment.

Debating leaving my A20 and Aviation X headsets in the plane. Keeping my old, patched cord, ASA HS-1 headset down there for passenger use. Probably toss the Sennheiser S1 Passive set I used to use in my flight bag for “jumping in other planes” purposes.

First world problems.

‡ Tried using scratchpad once before, on my first IFR flight, but I was kind of flustered (was using it only because I’d forgot to bring my kneeboard), forgot to check it, etc. Now that I've used it for a ~3 hour, 4 departure, 4 landing flight, it's becoming a lot more second nature to, e.g., pull up a new ATIS template and scribble the data in. Much less bulky / cumbersome than the notepad, and facilitates the "jump in and go" thing I'm trying for here - vs. spending a few minutes every flight getting situated - headset pulled out of its bag, kneeboard velcro'd to my thigh, etc., all in a cramped cockpit...

Comments