Using a Bose Aviation headset with an iPhone

So I’m picking up a plane out in Hendersonville, North Carolina, and flying it back to SoCal. Flying out on a commercial red eye into Asheville.

Problem: I want to take advantage of the fact that I’m lugging along a nice set of Bose Aviation X noise canceling headphones to drown out the jet noise and supply me with tunes, while riding steerage.

Bose lists the impedance of the headset at 150Ω “off” and 400Ω “on.”

The iPhone’s output impedance is about 5Ω, and ideally the output impedance should be about 1/8th the headphone impedance.

Solution: An inexpensive headphone amplifier ($29 or so), with a couple of adapter cables (3.5mm male to male stereo; 1/4" stereo female to 3.5mm stereo male). I’m sure I’ll look like a dork, but at least I won’t be lugging around a second set of inferior and/or expensive headphones.

Comments