Timer+ for IFR approaches etc.

So I almost pulled the trigger on an ASA timer, or the Sporty’s rebranded kitchen timer, or something similar. Which was going to mean a yoke clip with a spot to velcro the timer, hold approach plates, etc. And then I was gonna get a knee clip for the iPad. (I’m bouncing between an SR22 with a side-stick, and rental PA28s.)

Instead, I found the perfect timer app: Timer+.

You can pre-specify countdown timers (e.g., at 90 kts, the time from the final approach fix to the missed approach point on the CNO 26R ILS is 2:56) that can be named and started with a tap:



When the unexpected happens and you have to setup a new count-down timer on the fly, tap the lightning bolt, tap in the time (2-5-6) (no scrolling through Apple’s weird timer setup, in turbulence, for the win), and hit Start when you’re ready to activate it:


Super easy, and a couple of taps away when you’ve got the approach plate loaded in ForeFlight (ForeFlight should have a pop-up timer, too, but that’s a rant for another day.)

Free, or $2.99 to support the author and eliminate the ads.

Instead of a knee clip (for the Cirrus), I’m getting a RAM suction cup base [RAM-B-224-1U], so I can just stick the iPad to the window and have it in my scan (dropping my head to read an iPad on my lap, or fumbling with the iPad in flight, are both sub-optimal).

Comments