Why not Android.

ForeFlight rocks. ForeFlight doesn't exist for Android. Probably won't. (December 2023 edit: Nope.) Maybe on April 1st, next year. (Keep checking back.) In theory, I should be more of an Android guy. I love Linux/UNIX. (Since 1993! Root since 1995.) I write my own code. I don't run Windows anywhere. Love a good POSIX shell. Like open architecture. Etc.

But iOS devices are too damned slick, the UX is too polished, the level of integration (Apple TV, tablet, phone, Mac devices...) is too perfect ... And there's no ForeFlight for Android. End of analysis. (Or, for more: Why Android is losing in aviation.)

However, WingX just announced it will run on the Amazon Fire tablets. That's potentially huge. A new Fire tablet can be had for $50! (Don't think that model has GPS though. In fact, looking at the tech specs for all the Fire tablets, no - they all provide location services via WiFi. No idea if a Bluetooth GPS module will work... The Dual I use has a bunch of questions asked about whether or not it will work with the Fire tablet, but all the answers take the form of 'I have no idea' or 'should work, as long as it has Bluetooth.' No reviewer mentions the Fire. Caveat emptor.)


Comments

  1. Try this:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fltplan.go&hl=en

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment