iPad mini 2; different mount for butterfly yokes

The iPad mini 2 finally arrived from PowerMax.com. Definitely fast enough to use with ForeFlight. Everything's setup for tomorrow's flight (er, I guess it's now "later today"), which I am looking forward to (even if I do have to dodge Obama TFRs). Despite what some Amazon reviewers stated, the iPad mini 2 fits perfectly (not too tightly) in the RAMHOLAP14U cradle, though I don't yet have a screen protector (likely an anti-glare filter) fitted (yet?). (I'm carrying it with a Logitech Ultrathin Keyboard Cover and a ShaggyMac pad (protects and cleans :) ).

In other news, after flying 00U (with a butterfly yoke) a couple of times, I think this slightly different yoke mount will be a better fit than the RAM-B-121B that came with the kit I bought. (The RAM-B-121B, which has the 1" ball at a right angle to the clamp, works perfectly with the newer ram horn yoke.) It doesn't get in the way of flight operation, but just barely - have to back the clamp back an inch or so, which still clears the panel (the flat modernized panel in 00U, at least) with the yoke full forward, but I'd prefer to have it be flush back as close to the pilot as possible... Minor quibble with my current setup.

Meanwhile, "thanks, Obama" ...


Comments