Upgrading to a faster iPad mini

Before investing in repairs on my 1st generation iPad mini, I probably should have seen what the scuttlebutt was vis-a-vis ForeFlight usage:

Gen 1 iPad Mini will be too slow. Here is our advice: https://www.foreflight.com/support/buying-guide/
Sure enough, that page states: “Short advice: Buy the 64GB iPad Air 2 or 32GB iPad Mini 2 ...”

And indeed, even just firing up ForeFlight takes about 30 seconds! And that includes the 'reload' time when switching to another app, then switching back to ForeFlight. Moving around in the map, redraws are almost painfully slow. I haven't tried it in the cockpit yet, and don't think I will; in the air is not where you want to be waiting on your tech to catch up.

The iPad mini 2 32GB can still be sourced from a variety of places, including Apple itself or my fave, PowerMax.com. Should be a nice speed bump, it uses the A7 processor found in the iPad Air (1st gen), although slightly slower (1.3 GHz vs. 1.4 GHz); the first-generation iPad mini uses the A5 processor introduced in the iPad 2 in 2011! (The iPad mini 1st gen is basically an iPad 2, several generations old when it was introduced...)

Don't get me wrong, the iPad mini is still a great little tablet. Runs the latest iOS version, performs more than fast enough for 99% of most (non-gaming) tablet uses. I actually kind of wish I could hang on to it, for use as an eReader or somesuch. But I need to liquidate it, and the iPhone 5s collecting dust in a desk drawer, to finance the iPad mini 2 replacement. Alas.


Comments