Update on the iResQ iPad sitch

As soon as I got the iPad mini back from iResQ on Friday the 4th, it was obvious it had been roughly treated. The new digitizer was off center (and one corner was correspondingly too thick to fit the RAM mount), the screen "popped" when tapped, there were gouges in the metal case, and then I learned (it arrived back to me with a totally dead battery) it wouldn't charge above 3% (apparently that can happen when swapping out the digitizer, likely culprit an unsoldered or destroyed resistor) and was doing a weird sort of "graduated pixelated fade" when it would lose power (after about 3 minutes of use) and crash, without going through the "spinning wheel" of a normal iOS shutdown. Sigh. I immediately documented all of this and wrote to the service manager of iResQ, after being pointed that direction by their online chat operator.

They wasted no time in sending me a prepaid overnight FedEx label, that I printed and used to ship the iPad back to them that same day (triple-boxed this time, though the double boxes used to ship to and fro before were intact and I don't think all of this happened during shipping...). Friday being the start of the three day holiday weekend, they didn't get it until Tuesday, the 8th.

Heard back Wednesday the 9th:

Given the current situation with the ipad and the issues that you have reported, we are opting to provide you with a replacement unit. The replacement ipad will be the exact same model/color/capacity etc.
So at least that should be resolved, and I should have a working iPad mini for the cockpit sooner than later. Probably before I fly again.

Now if the rest of my tech would behave; my M3's EML / SES lights came on and (after thankfully getting us home from Solvang), pushed the car into "limp mode." Bad throttle actuator, a worst case scenario for that error condition. Of course. So while the Bimmer is at the shop, I got my old Jeep out of storage ... Just in time for the clutch hydraulics to go out. (It is a 20 year old Wrangler, and it's been remarkably trouble-free... Guess it was time for something to go wrong. And better on the ground (even if on Olympic in West L.A. midday) than at 5500'...

Comments