Sigh. iResQ returned my iPad mini damaged...

Argh. So my iPad mini has had a weird life. I picked up a 32GB 1st generation mini in the fall of 2012, before I headed out to Portland for a week-long deposition prep/defense session. Used it. Loved it. Except it had a consistent issue staying connected to my WiFi networks (Apple Airport Extreme base stations at home and at the office). Took it to the Apple Store at Century City Mall and they handed me a different 32GB iPad mini 1st gen. Never really got around to using it. My "big" iPad (which once fell off a moving car - built like a tank, that thing), and then the iPad Air 2, handled most of my needs. The mini sat in a drawer.

I went to start using it for flight stuff, and it bounced around like a toddler on crack. Some phantom touch problem with the digitizer (apparently really rare on iPads that haven't had their digitizer replaced - e.g., because the screen was broken or something):


Anyway. Long story short I sent it off to iResQ to be fixed. I was hoping a bit of kapton tape would fix the problem, but they installed a new digitizer instead, for $99. Cheaper than any sort of refurb'd 32GB iPad mini model, and other than the digitizer issue the mini was in immaculate shape, no wear and tear, perfect screen, lightly used battery. So why not?

:Frustrated:

I got it back from iResQ today (Friday September 4th) and immediately noticed things were off. The screen was kind of rotated in the chassis, with a millimeter or more gap along the left edge. It popped and clicked when you so much as picked it up, let alone tapped the glass to do anything. The flawless case came back with two large chunks out of the corners, and a couple of smaller nicks. (I'm a little "OCD," that stuff bugs the hell out of me. My iPad Air 2 and iPhone 6 are flawless, without screen protectors or cases - except the iPad travels in the Moshi case.) Photos of the condition I got the iPad mini back in.

(Note that the iPad mini was shipped in its original Apple box, which was then put (with padding) into a small Amazon Prime shipping box (reuse is better than recycle). When iResQ shipped it back, they put it back in the same Apple original box, put foam around it, and put it back in the same Amazon box I'd shipped it out in; all boxes appear undamaged...)

Too, the basically brand new battery now won't charge past 3%! Lightning cable from Apple, the charger that came in the box with the iPad, no joy. (I hooked the same cable and charger up to my iPhone 6 and the charge went up 3% in three minutes; the iPad mini on the same charging hardware didn't budge after hours.)

To their credit (so far), iResQ has been responsive to my inquiries, and sent me a FedEx Overnight label to ship the mini back to them. Hopefully this all gets resolved satisfactorily...

Comments