SSH: 1995

I was today years old when I learned that SSH wasn’t a thing until around the summer of 1995! (I first learned about it the summer of 1997, when I was at HIP and all the l33t haxxors were sniffing my telnet sessions.) Wonder if I can run SSHeven on my PowerBook... 

I’m reasonably sure I used F-Secure’s SSH client on my System 7.5.5 Mac back in the day? Though it could have been Nifty Telnet or ... 

And it was definitely Tera Term and later Putty on my Windows machines, before I went back to Mac circa OS X Panther on an iBook G3 (IIRC a 600 MHz model?). (As a native UNIX, of course, OS X had SSH built in, accessible from any terminal window.) And when setting up a new Solaris 8 machine, our first stop would always be sunfreeware.net to download OpenSSL and OpenSSH.

Terminal screen shot
macOS shell in cool-retro-term

Comments