Getting into the Sennheiser HD600 headphones

Got a smokin’ deal on a pair of lightly used Sennheiser HD600 headphones. They may not be “bass canons” but there’s certainly a robust low end, especially with a custom EQ (the closest I could approximate to the Oratory1990 Sennheiser HD600 (octave band EQ) settings; the M1s only allows up to ± 6dB adjustment). Listening to Little Earthquakes (FLAC rip of the CD I bought like 30 years ago), Happy Phantom just kicks. Great soundstage, very intimate. If there’s a “veil” I don’t notice it.

Setup:

 I will say the M1s struggles a bit to drive the HD600s (97.7dB/mW, 300 Ω), and really exposes lower quality source material. (I’d have expected Taylor Swift’s Midnights to sound a lot better, frankly, and, e.g., the first part of Tool’s Invincible sounds incredible, but the second, more dense, part, and the Shanling starts to really struggle.) I really want to pick up a Loxjie A40 with balanced output to see how much of this is the headphones, the source material, or the power capability of the DAPs.)

HD600 with M1s showing EQ
HD600 with M1s showing EQ


Comments