Temporarily disabling the speaker on a Lightsaber

Anyone who’s been to the Hollywood Bowl for a John Williams night knows how it inevitably ends:

I want to bring my new Savi’s Workshop lightsaber to this, but I was concerned about the sound effects built in. Turns out they can be easily, reversibly, disabled.

The speaker is in the battery compartment, which has four metal terminals on the top (blade end):

The terminals of the lightsaber battery compartment

The inner two are connected to the three AAA batteries:

The terminals of the lightsaber battery compartment with a multimeter hooked up

That makes the outer two connectors the speaker connection. Interrupt either side of that circuit and the speaker won’t sound. This can be done with a simple piece of electrical tape; I punched it in a bit into the recess to give whatever pin is inside the hilt room, to avoid bending it:

That’s it. Super easy. I’ve taken the tape off and verified the speaker comes back on, put the tape back, verified it was silent, taken it back off again (and that’s how I’ll store it, in its normal configuration).

Comments