Dogs.

Just as I was noticing Astrid seemed to be getting up more stiffly from her naps curled up on my office floor, and started thinking about getting a bed for her ... BarkBox invited us to subscribe with a free bed. Sold. (My mom loves BarkBox for her pups and has given us several for gifts. My dogs also inherited a huge number of toys from my mom’s pampered pups.)

We got the Large (50 lbs+) Memory Foam Bed - Sand, and what we got was 41x29x4" (which corresponds to size X-Large apparently, though Amazon doesn’t have that size in sand). She hopped right on and loves it.

Astrid asleep on her BarkBox Memory Foam dog bed
Astrid asleep on her BarkBox Memory Foam dog bed

The toys and treats in the BarkBox itself were also a hit. The toys are a bit higher quality than many of the cheaper treats you’ll find at places like Petco, and they tend to be more than just a squeaker (e.g., they’ll have crinkly sections). The treats are usually high value sorts of things, a bit too large to use as training treats in my opinion (for that we really like Power Bites and Charlee Bear Cheese and Egg), but great for bonding moments (which can also include some training, of course!).

Brian still curls up at my feet, wherever they may be, but I’m thinking about getting another BarkBox bed  for him, too (he sneaks onto Astrid’s whenever she vacates it for a minute). Maybe one or two for at home, too; they generally sleep on the bed or a sofa, but I think Astrid might want to be curled up near me when I’m at my desk in the corner (Brian wedges himself into the tiny under desk space and contorts). 

Brian asleep on the floor with his head on my foot
Brian asleep on the floor with his head on my foot  

 Okay, now, the reason I’m writing this post: Closing browser tabs:

  • Science Proves a Harsh Truth About Very Good Dogs - dogs are likely manipulating us with more pronounced facial expressions, to get us to do what they want...
  • ...But they probably do love us, too. Or are at least genetically driven to seek out contact and attention. (Would you like to know more?)
  • Since there is that attachment, it kinda makes sense that we parent them.
  • There’s a specific protocol you should follow when approaching dogs you haven’t met before: The Right Way to Pet a Dog, According to Veterinarians.
  • MRIs can now tell us what a dog wants. (What it really really wants. (The 90s were a special time.))
  • Puppy love: 7 in 10 people really do consider their dog their best friend. Again, file under “duh.” But, let’s see how I stack up?
    • At least 5 salon trips a year? No. (But Labs and the Astrid-type supermutt are very low maintenance.)
    • Treats and cuddles? Yep. Long walks? Yep. New toys? Monthly or so (BarkBox).
    • Pet stroller? Uh, no.
    • Take them with me running errands? Sometimes. Catching up with friends and family? 50/50. Seek our restaurants that allow pets? Definitely a consideration. Prioritize pet-friendly vacation spots? What’s a “vacation”? 
    • Celebrating birthdays? Yes (or in Astrid’s case, her “gotcha day”). With new toys? Yes. A party? Not so much. A trip to hang out with their doggy friends? Does a dog beach trip count? Looking for perfect items for my dogs? Yeah, I guess. I get treats I know they’ll like (which is pretty much anything, tbh), toys I think they’ll engage with... 
    • Taking care of my dogs is equally as important as taking care of my child? More. Way more. Considering I have no children...
    • Recall bringing home the dogs as one of the happiest days of my life? Definitely. 
    • Having a dog has made me a more sentimental or emotional person? Very probably.

 

January 23, 2024: Astrid’s getting stiffer and her back legs don’t always work so good. 😟😢 First week of November our vet started her on Librela, and it’s been a godsend. (She still gets a Dasuquin “treat” every morning, too.) It’s a $70 shot given monthly and it was like a switch flipped. She went from being not able to even traverse the tile floor to being able to walk, run (occasionally), and jump (kinda) again. She still scrambles up onto the sofa or bed, but it kinda takes a running start (she ignores the stairs I bought her). She’s using her dog beds (on the floor) more and more. She’s otherwise in good health, and she’s still very interested in life (especially anything that might come her way from the kitchen 😉), but I’m aware our time together is likely nearing its end. (She’s ~45 lbs and, best guess, somewhere between 13 and 14 years old.)

Pets Really Can Be Like Human Family And calling some pet owners the “parents” of their dogs or cats might be the best shorthand for these relationships. (And then there’s the looming specter of ‘disenfranchised grief’ ... But I’m getting way ahead of things.)

Comments