Not Exactly Kintsugi - Repurposing a Shattered Coffee Mug into a Succulent Planter

I have a coffee mug from a job I had a long time ago. I still miss that job, the people I worked with, the cool stuff we got to do. (It was cutting edge.) That mug was my morning oatmeal receptacle, etc.

A few years back, The Parasite™ (a couch surfer I was trying to help out), in a typical display of their trademark blend of Carelessness and Lack of Attention, shattered it into several pieces. I imagined they were intact enough to reassemble with super glue, but never got around to it until this past weekend.

Turns out, yes, the pieces I had were large enough to glue back together, but the mug itself will never be useful for fluids (or oatmeal, really) again. So what to do? Preserve it by transitioning it into a planter for a tiny succulent.

Apparently, I need:

  • The succulent itself (I’m thinking Jade (maybe this one?), since apparently it can tolerate lower light situations). Update: Ordered this.
  • A drain hole
  • Soil (I have no idea if this is good stuff or not, but several reviews specifically mention jade)
I’ll report back when I’ve had a chance to try this.



Update: Over the weekend I used one of the diamond drill bits to put a hole in the bottom of the mug, following this video:


It took longer than I’d expected, and because the mug was already structurally compromised, I got some hairline cracks spreading out from the hole, but they don’t seem to have impacted its structural integrity. 
 
This afternoon, the post office delivered the jade plant, shipped USPS from Corona, California.


It’s planted:


Now let’s see if I can keep it alive. (Watering instructions.)

Update - March 31, 2022

So a coworker gave me a Haworthia Superfasciata for my desk at the office. So far both it (3 months or so in) and the jade plant (11 months) are still alive, though the jade plant has a bit more red on the leaves than I’d like. It gets several hours of solid direct sunlight almost every day (east facing balcony), so it’s probably (?) lack of nutrients in the soil. I bought some Cute Farms Succulent, Cacti & Aloe Fertilizer. Since I have the two plants in two locations, I got the two 8 oz. bottles for $14 option, only to find out it only comes with one pump. Meh. So I picked up a cheap 5 ml graduated cylinder and measured - each pump is equal to 1.1 ml. So now I just use the bottle + cylinder at home to give the right amount of plant food.
 
(At the office: 030134048104 4" SCF-Winter Wonderland Haworthia SKU #065840)
 
I also picked up some saucers for under the coffee mug; perfect fit.

Comments