Using a real camera as a “webcam”

Nikon D5100
My cameras are great, but they’re older (Nikon D5100, Sony a6000), so I can’t use the newly released (Engadget re Nikon); solutions (Nikon; Sony (Mac)) to turn them into webcams. But I can set them up with “clean HDMI” (Sony) (with the Nikon, hack it a bit to, e.g., disable the “live video” time-out and enable “clean HDMI” output*), and then capture the stream with a USB device, like the ikan HomeStream. The system requirements for the HDMI dongles are somewhat hefty (there are some that have onboard hardware encoding); in the case of the ikan, it’s: CPU:PC i5-3400 or above; NB i7-3537U 2.0GHZ or above; 

Graphics card: PC NVIDIA GT630 or above; NC NVIDIA GT735M or above; RAM:  4G RAM.

(Here’s hoping my 2015 MacBook Pro (2.2 GHz Core i7 (I7-4770HQ), 16GB, “Intel Iris Pro” GPU) will run it capably. Edit: Per David Serrano at ikan, “It’s compatible.”)

Gotchas I’ve stumbled across so far:

  • The Nikon D5100 has a “mini C” HDMI port (adapter).
    • To get output on the HDMI port, go into Menu ⇢ Wrench (Setup Menu) ⇢ HDMI ⇢ Device control: OFF.
  • The Sony a6000 has a “micro D” HDMI port (adapter).
Lighting options I’m considering (why is it so hard to find an inexpensive ring light with a camera-compatible tripod mount, vs. a cellphone holder?):

Ring lights vs. rectangle. (tl;dr: Ring is better, but clumsy and not very portable; the rectangle light works fine for business, use, for make-up tutorials or vlogging, ring).

ikan HS-VCD

Okay, so, I purchased an ikan HomeStream (HS-VCD), after reading about it in a couple of spots. It sells for $79 most places. (I found one on eBay for $65 with free shipping. I’m cheap.)

Searching for the USB Product ID (0x2109) and Vendor ID (0x534d), I learn the internals are the same as a widely available cheap generic USB Video input device, all over eBay for $15 or so. So, there you go, I just saved you the same $65 I spent.

It arrived at the office and I don’t have any HDMI source at my fingertips to test it with, but I had to see what would happen if I hooked it up to my Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz, Intel HD 4000 graphics machine. It seems to work, as much as you’d expect without a signal (actually, more; the NTSB color bars are a nice touch - if those are coming from the dongle, vs. Zoom?):


Pieces are coming together! I might, in November of 2020, finally join the videoconference revolution we’ve all been thrust into by the pandemic...

 Edit: I couldn’t resist trying it out on an old MacBook Air (I thought it was a “mid-2013” but apparently it’s a “mid-2012,” based on the CPU) I had at home. Although the CPU (an Ivy Bridge Intel Core i5-3427U @ 1.80GHz) is technically below (or right on the edge of) the specs ikan says this thing will work at (Core i5-3400 @ 2.0 GHz or better), it seemed to function just fine, though I wasn’t exactly stress testing it.

* It took me a minute to figure out how to determine the firmware hack “took,“ especially the Live View time-out. Menu button ⇢ Pencil (Custom Settings) ⇢ Timers/AE Lock ⇢ Auto off timers ⇢ Custom ⇢ Live view. This will say 3 minutes on the summary screen, but if you select it and go in to change it, the top value will be the maximum (6 hours).

Comments