Restoring Speakers

Seems like everything I have is hitting that age where things just sort of wear out and deteriorate. Case in point, I recently reactivated my home office “battlestation,” a slab of tempered glass (similar to GLASHOLM, but different) that used to be part of an IKEA desk-type-thing (a couple of FINNVARD trestles), sitting atop a pair of HON filing cabinets. It was equipped with:
But. The Dell monitor would flash on for a second or so (just long enough to see it was producing a picture from the video input), but then go black. Ungh. I’ll miss the composite and s-video plugs, but wasn’t really using them, but I didn’t want to give up VGA or the matte panel, and I’m cheap, so I found a “grade A” refurbished Dell U2212HM to replace it (under $100 shipped).

And ... Now the subwoofer on the Klipsch is “farting.” Used a bent paperclip I grabbed with a wire stripper (only thing I had handy) I remove the metal grill (don’t do it like this!), and yep, the foam surround is toast. Same thing happened to the old JBL Control 1 speakers I have on the old Mac Pro (via a cheap Topping MX-3 amp). Looks like I’m going to get some practice restoring speaker surrounds. Watch this space.

Edit: Update, I found a new stock woofer (January 2020 production date) on eBay and don’t have time to really do a re-surround correctly (supporting the cone, sending a 50HZ tone through it, etc). It arrived today (12/4/2020).



 
Edit (March 2023): The Klipsch speakers do have a slightly wonky 3.5mm cable, as long as I don’t disturb it it’s fine, but it takes some fiddling to get it working just right. And of course the 3.5mm cable is hard-wired to the speaker control module. I could solder a new one in, but, there are several eBay options, including OEM control pods and third party stuff like this: Replacement Control Pod for Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers w/PowerButton (or Replacement Control Pod Compatible with Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers). (Pinouts etc.) I’m not in a hurry to do that, but it’s an option I may consider down the road.

Comments