Return of the matte

Fscking finally, Apple has (re)embraced the matte display. The Pro Display XDR introduced their new “nano-texture glass,” and now the 27" iMac can be so equipped (a $500 option, but still). That used to be a dividing line between their MacBook and MacBook Pro (which, until 2011 or so, could be equipped with a glossy or a matte screen). For a long while now I’ve been using Dell monitors (UltraSharp 2007WFP,  U2311H, U2412M) hooked up to Apple hardware (Mac Pro, laptops, mini), just to avoid having to use a glossy display as much as possible. (Wish my circa-2006 Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro wasn’t essentially unusable nowadays, with a toasted ATI x1600. Thanks, StarCraft 2. OTOH, it’s 14(?) years old, capped at 3GB of RAM, limited to OS X Lion, and otherwise totally obsolete, so...)

Anyway. I really, really hate glossy displays. This comparison is an HP All-in-One circa 2011, and one of my Dells (I think the U2311H):

(And man, I’d forgotten about that old Ione Scorpius M10 keyboard, my first modern mechanical board and a total piece of junk (and a glance at the Amazon reviews suggest I’m far from alone in being disappointed in the longevity - or, rather, lack thereof).)

Comments