Streaming from the HDHomeRun Prime

In lieu of huge, clunky, rented cable boxes, I have a Silicon Dust HDHomeRun Prime device hooked up with a cable card, and it exports unprotected basic cable streams to my LAN. (I don’t watch much TV, get no OTA reception, but our HOA includes a few channels “for free,” so why not. Football.) The streams are 1080 and fairly large, and WiFi in my condo sucks (lots of competing signals).

So Ethernet and a beefy-enough client device (i.e., not my circa-2012 Panasonic Bluray player, BTDT) is required to really watch the streams.

The HDHR Prime exports streams via UPnP, but client support is ... Spotty. I really want to watch it using the Apple TV 4 I got for Xmas this year, but so far, no joy. Here’s what I’ve tried so far.

iPhone X

Works perfectly under VLC. Just opened up the app, tapped the cone in the upper left corner of the screen, then Local Network, and it appears under Universal Plug'n'Play (UPnP). Streams the video perfectly, albeit limited by the WiFi connection:



So far so good.

PlayStation 4

Plex doesn’t see the HDHR Prime, but it’s visible in the Media Player app, which sees the Favorites and Channels folders and plays the streams perfectly.


Apple TV 4

This one’s frustrating. Plex doesn’t see it at all. VLC doesn’t see it at all, which I just don’t grok. 
PlayerXtreme sees the HDHR Prime under Network, sees the Channels and Favorites folders, sees the individual items in those folders, but the icon is a white page with a question mark, and the channels can't be played:


I haven’t found any solution that will let me watch the HDHR Prime streams on the Apple TV 4 yet, which is disappointing.

Roku Express

Just to round this out; Plex (again) doesn’t see it at all. Roku Media Player does (sees it under Video as a Media Server), and plays the channels, but playback breaks down into blocky pixel hell constantly due to WiFi connection limitations. 



I wish this stuff was easier to troubleshoot. My kingdom for debug logs!

Update (January 5, 2020)

Silicon Dust support pointed me towards two apps known to work:
But, weirdly frustratingly, now VLC on the Apple TV sees the HDHomeRun Prime, along with everything else on the network. (No idea what caused the delay in discovering the services.)

Comments