Remote Display Car Stereo

The YJ-model Jeep Wrangler has a kind of horrible radio placement. There’s (barely, kinda) a single DIN opening, blocked on top by the protrusion of the dashboard, and it’s down by the passenger’s knees. I have an Alpine in there now, and it works great, but I’m using a RAM glareshield mount forced around the VIN number plate to hold an iPhone for navigation, and while the combination generally works, it’s way less than ideal.

For the longest time I’ve wanted a radio with a remote mounted display. I’ve toyed with the idea of just running a ribbon cable for a detachable faceplate, but that’s ... a hack.

I saw the Alpine Freestyle X702D-F and it seemed perfect, but is apparently only available in Europe.

But then I found the Pioneer DMH-C2550NEX and DMH-C5500NEX. I may redo the Jeep stereo sooner than later. Again. (I’ve owned that vehicle for 24 years, and have had ... Several stereos in it. Things kept getting stolen. 😒)

Comments