X-Naut Active Cooling Mount iPad Mini

Having had my iPad mini overheat a couple of times in flight, and after reading positive reviews on /r/flying, I ordered the X-Naut Active Cooling Mount iPad Mini. Because I couldn't readily find this information, I'll put it here: I used the RAM Mounts 2 7/16" Flat Surface Mount RAM-B-202U ball mount base to attach to the back of the X-Naut (the mini version has a three hole mount). Note that base doesn't come with screws (I took the base off my iPad Air cradle, which I haven't used in years). Other mounts may work just fine, but, I can confirm that this item specifically mounts right up to the X-Naut with no modification required.

PIREP on the X-Naut ASAP. (Toying with the idea of replacing the yoke clock with something like this, to easily patch power into the iPad and X-Naut.)

Update (2018.07.16): The promised PIREP. I’ve been flying behind the X-Naut for a few quite warm months now, including a couple of > 100°F days (including one departure from KAVQ where the OAT was 108°F on the ground). It rocks. The only time I’ve had the iPad overheat since installing the X-Naut is when I park the plane with the iPad in direct sunlight and neglect to yank the tablet to store it in the shade ... And once the X-Naut kicks on, it’s maybe 5 minutes before the iPad is usable again.

Updates (2018.04.20):

  1. If you need hardware to attach the RAM kit to the X-Naut, I found it at Sporty’s: http://www.sportys.com/pilotshop/ram-mount-hardware-pack.html
  2. I got what I think is a pretty good mount setup, without having to jump through any hoops with the plate mount in place of the clock (which we still may do, using the plate I got from Flight Enhancements - seems to be removed from their website, but it’s simple enough, probably anyone could machine it...). Our ultimate solution, so far (since that photo was taken, I cleaned up the cables a little bit with wire ties through the holes on the back of the X-Naut):
  3. For power, we’re using a $10 24W Anker 12V adapter connected to the X-Naut and the iPad via braided cables (microUSB and Lightning, respectively), that is wire-tied together and velcro wire-tied to the aircraft (removable without tools), to keep things clean.












Comments